Thank you for your support of Whinny City Pony Con by becoming a volunteer. Our volunteers play a vital role in organizing our show and making sure it runs smoothly. We strive to create an environment that is supportive, safe, and fun for all to participate in Whinny City Pony Con.
Our goal with this Volunteer Agreement is to make our volunteer experience as rewarding as possible. This agreement will cover many of the details you will need to know to have a fun and effective experience with Whinny City Pony Con.
As a volunteer, you are expected to adhere to the following “common sense” policies:
1) Maintain a professional and helpful attitude in all dealings with attendees, exhibitors, guests, and fellow volunteers. As a volunteer you are acting as a representative of Whinny City Pony Con and may be one of the few Whinny City Pony Con volunteers our attendees or exhibitors engage with during the weekend. Make their attendance a positive experience by being professional and helpful.
2) Be knowledgeable of the convention. Acquaint yourself with as much of the convention as possible, such as hours of operation, locations of key areas and the schedule of our programming. We make as much information available as possible on our website and in our program guide. Take advantage of the available information so you can be an informed volunteer when asked questions by attendees.
3) Perform your duties to the best of your abilities, and show up a little early for your shift/ duties. If you find you are unable or unclear on how to perform a certain duty, please talk with your Manager/Director. We are all in this convention together and we do not want anyone to be overwhelmed or not succeed in their position.
4) Dress appropriately. Your Department Head / Supervisor will specify the dress code for your department. This will typically consist of the staff shirt that we will provide and clean pants. We ask that you not wear offensive t-shirts or clothing that might offend guests or convention members.
5) Be sober and clear headed. No drinking or use of controlled substances is permitted while you are performing your volunteer duties. If you become intoxicated while on duty or report for work while intoxicated or under the influence of a controlled substance, you will be removed from staff and ejected from the convention.
6) Be humble and modest in your position. While you’re volunteering at the convention, you do not have special privileges and you do not get priority access in
autograph lines, for instance. If you are not on duty, you have exactly the same privileges as any other convention attendee.
7) Get plenty of sleep, plenty to eat, and stay clean. We strive to limit volunteers to eight hours or less of a work a day. Please get plenty of sleep during the convention weekend. Eat well balanced meals, drink plenty of water, and maintain high personal hygiene. Do not try to out-do your fellow volunteers in who can sleep less. Sleep deprivation and lack of nourishment will negatively impact your ability to successfully complete the above six policies and may result in you being replaced in your shift or position during the convention till a time you have rested, eaten, and bathed.
Medical or Physical Restrictions
Volunteering at Whinny City Pony Con can be a very physically and mentally demanding endeavor. Please let us know if you have any physical, medical or movement restrictions that need to be accommodated. We will make every effort to take care of and accommodate everyone, but please be aware that volunteers are expected to manage their own well-being while they are serving on the volunteer team.
Harassment Free Environment
All volunteers have a right to work in an environment free from the demoralizing effects of harassment or unwelcome offensive or improper conduct. Sexual harassment or harassment based on gender, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, expression, disability, or veteran status, or any other status protected by law will simply not be tolerated at Whinny City Pony Con.
Types of improper behavior or prohibited conduct includes: unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, obscene gestures, sending sexually explicit, racially offensive or derogatory emails or voicemails, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual or offensive nature, such as uninvited touching of a sexual nature or sexually-related comments.
Volunteers should promptly report incidents of harassment to their immediate Department Head, Manager, Director, or Convention Chair. There is a procedure for investigating and resolving issues of harassment during and within Whinny City Pony Con and it will involve the assistance of the City of Schaumburg police department. All reported incidents will be investigated with an effort to keep the source of the report confidential except where we find disclosure necessary for resolution. Where inappropriate conduct has occurred, specific disciplinary actions up to and including termination of volunteer status or revocation of attendee badge will be implemented. Any volunteer or attendee who, in good faith, reports a possible violation of this policy will be protected from any form of retaliation.
Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure
As a volunteer you are expected to maintain confidentiality with information received from Whinny City Pony Con. We strive to share as much information on the inner workings of our convention with our volunteers as possible, with the knowledge that much of this information is proprietary to Whinny City Pony Con. Certain information may be embargoed until a set time frame, such as guest announcements, and we ask that you respect our requests for confidentiality, as the release of said information will impact other aspects of the convention, such as marketing plans. Should we find that information is being shared in a way that is detrimental to Whinny City Pony Con, we will cease to share said information with volunteers.
You may also be privy to information and conversations between and with guests during the convention and you are expected to maintain the privacy and confidentiality of our guests as well. Whinny City Pony Con requires that volunteers will protect the confidential information which may be disclosed between guests of Whinny City Pony Con and the volunteer.
Confidential Information means any information or material which is proprietary to the guest, which is not generally known other than by the guest, and which the volunteer may obtain through any direct or indirect contact with the guest. Confidential Information includes without limitation: Financial amounts of sales, earnings, or business, upcoming projects that may or may not have been completed, personal information including family, friends, and relationships, and opinions made by the guest. This list is neither all-inclusive nor complete.
The volunteer understands and acknowledges that the Confidential Information can cause irreparable harm to the guest and to the convention should the information be shared, discussed, or publicly posted. The volunteer will hold the Confidential Information in confidence and will not disclose to any person or entity without the prior written consent of the guest.
Non-disclosure includes but is not limited to any verbal, written, or electronically communicated conversations, including texts, instant messages, or chats; any posting on known and unknown forms of social media; or interviews with any form of media, reporter, or blogger.
Disclosure by the volunteer in violation of this agreement shall constitute and be treated as a material breach of this agreement which will cause irreparable harm to the guest, the convention, and the staff and agents working with or associated with the guest or convention.
Those above affected by the breach of this agreement may seek, among other things, (a) injunctive relief, without posting any bond, to prevent and/or cure any breach or threatened breach of this agreement by the volunteer, (b) recovery or disgorgement of the monies or other consideration received in connection with such disclosure, if any, and (c) recovery of reasonable outside attorney fees incurred to enforce this agreement.
Staff Photographer / Videographer
If you are on staff as a designated photographer or videographer, all images or video that you capture on shift are the property of Whinny City Pony Con and must be surrendered to the convention immediately on request. You may retain copies for your own portfolios, but may not use the images or videos in any other commercial capacity.
At Will Volunteer
Your volunteer status is at will. Whinny City Pony Con is free to release volunteers from their positions for good cause, bad cause, or no cause at all. You are able to serve as a volunteer at your pleasure and equally free to quit with no liability.
Volunteer Medical Waiver and Indemnity Agreement
I understand and agree that I am responsible for providing my own food, transportation and lodging. Any food or lodging provided by Whinny City Pony Con as a benefit covers only the applicable terms of the specific benefit awarded. In the event of an accident or injury while volunteering for Whinny City Pony Con, I authorize Whinny City Pony Con to seek and obtain medical treatment. Furthermore, I agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Whinny City Pony Con from any and all damages, losses, claims, liabilities, charges, suits, penalties, costs and/or expenses, including but not limited to court costs, attorneys’ fees and expenses, resulting from any act (whether intentional or not), omission or negligence of any injury to myself.